Sunday, December 10, 2006

The First Flight.

Written in: Barrio of Pulong Buhangin, Town of Sta Maria, Province of Bulacan, PHILIPPINES
Composition: Impromptu - speaking of an event 12 days prior.
Previous Post: First Words From The Philippines


Calgary was a chilly -25degrees C the morning of November 28th, 2006 when I left it. I wore blue jeans, a white undershirt, a long sleeved dress shirt, and a black suit coat. This was not enough for this type of weather, but the country I was going to would be around 25degrees C. A full 50 degree C difference. I had to somehow find a happy medium - try to wear just enough just so I don't die loading up my baggage to the car and walking to the aiport terminal's entrance, but then not to wear too much so as not to have to strip down layer upon layer of clothing when I reach my warm destination.

The first leg from Calgary to Vancouver was not without issues. Flight 211 Air Canada was canceled and so were a few other flights. I was moved to another flight, 209, which departed at an earlier time. Had I not been at the airport a full two hours earlier, I would not have made the connection.

Taking off, my requested window seat rewarded me with a breathtaking view of a vast sea of white. Everything was coated with a blanket of snow. Everything almost looked the same. If I were to forget that all the lines and tiny features represented human civilization, I wouldn't think

Continued:

... I wouldn't think there was life down below.

This was Calgary when I left it and as I sat in my seat still trying to thaw my hands because I held metal without any gloves, it gave me a slight sense of satisfaction that I was leaving. I mean, I love Calgary and Canada so much - both the place and the people - that I almost needed an excuse to leave. Weeks prior to leaving, I was having trepidations. I have been away from the Philippines for almost TEN years. Ten Years Gone.

What will I see?

What will I experience?

I didn't even know what to expect anymore in the first place. I've been told by many people that things have changed so much. Just exactly how much? This I would soon see for myself.

With me I possessed a time capsule of a mind. All the images, the smells, the sounds and the sensations I knew regarding the Philippines was from Ten Years ago.

How much will have changed? And how much will have remained the same?

More importantly... how much will I have changed?

I was contemplating all this when finally, the flight to Vancouver was nearly over.

to be continued...

the StrayDog

Related Flickr Photos


Next Post: Retrospective Bias

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home